How to Make an Invoice in Google Docs?
Running a small business comes with many challenges, and many aspects need your full attention. Invoicing your clients correctly is one of the primary ones. But as important as it is to create an accurate billing document, you may not want to spend a lot of money to do it.
Fortunately, when it comes to a good receipt template, Google Docs can be an easy and efficient solution. As you will see below, these Google invoices templates are extremely user-friendly and a genuine helping hand for any small business owner.
You can adapt the document to fit your needs best and save it on the cloud, so you can go back and use it anytime you need. This guide will show you how to make an invoice in Google Docs in a few simple steps.
How to Create an Invoice in Google Docs?
Using a Google Docs receipt template is not that difficult, even if you don't have much experience creating invoices. We will show you how to create an invoice in Google Docs in a few simple steps, using an invoice template doc. Here is what you need to do:
You need to log in to your Google account. The first step towards the Google Docs invoice system is going to Google Docs in your browser and using your Google credentials to sign in.
For example, the user and password from your Gmail account are also valid for Google Docs. If you don't have any Google credentials yet, signing up is extremely easy.
- Once you logged in, go to the Google Docs account homepage and find the Template Gallery. That's where you will find several generic templates to choose from—type in 'invoice' in the search bar to filter your search.
- Choose the right receipt template in Google Docs. Go through the available options until you find the one you feel best suits your needs regarding design and functionality. Click on the ones you want to know more about to see the full document and observe the details. Then click back to return to the list.
- When you find the invoice template doc you like, save it to your Drive. Then, you can use it as a blank template for creating your invoices. Click on the Title box to assign it a name.
- Whenever you want to create an invoice in Google Docs, just go to the blank Google Drive invoice, and use the menu to make a copy. That way, you won't make the mistake of saving your new document over an existing one.
- Once you create the copy, start editing it by modifying the standard sections to suit your particular project.
- Make sure you use an efficient invoice naming convention to keep the documents organized.
How to Send an Invoice from Google Drive?
If you have taken the steps we listed above, you managed to create an invoice in Google Docs and make it look great. Once you go over it again and check to ensure all the essential details are present, it's time to send the Google drive invoice to your client.
You can actually send the bill right out of Google Docs; all you need to do is go to the upper right corner of the document you created and find the 'Share' button. You must then type in your client's email address, include a short message, and click 'Send.'
If you don't want to send the document from Google Drive, you can download it and send it any way you like. You can attach it to an email or print it and send it by mail, depending on your client's preference. If you send it in an email, it's best to save it as a PDF; that way, you can be sure nobody can edit it.
What Is the Purpose of an Invoice?
An essential part of learning how to make an invoice in Google Docs is making sure you include all the necessary sections. Indeed, some may vary depending on the particular types of goods or services you want to bill, but there are also a few standard elements any receipt template in Google Docs should have.
- Branding elements, like a logo
- Your company's name and contact information
- Your client's name and contact information
- The unique number assigned to the invoice
- The date of the invoice
- A detailed list of the goods or services you provided, with the individual price
- The total amount due, applicable tax included
- The due date and payment terms and accepted methods
Apart from these, you can add any other sections you consider essential, like particular policies or special notes.
Google invoices are an easy and efficient way of billing your clients, and once you learn how to use the Google Docs invoice template, you can adapt it to your needs. On the other hand, there are many free and accurate templates available online, so you can easily find out how to create the right invoice for your business.